Max, I think there are arguments for both average wages and CPI as
indexing options, but I would offer this argument for average wages: it
has the potential to become an international standard.  In thinking
about labor standards that might be pushed internationally, minimum
wages are central.  It is difficult to write a standard that would be
applicable in all countries -- even the standard of "meets minimum
subsistence needs" is difficult to define and measure.  But pegging the
minimum at, say, half the average is perfectly feasible, and low-wage
countries can't complain that it has a differential impact on them.
Putting our own minimum wage system on this type of automatic pilot
would be a small step towards attaining a global minimum.

Peter