>>  I have a stupid question regarding the CPI and real wages.  My
understanding is that real wages are today essentially where they were
in about 1972 or so.  I also am under the impression that "real wage"
is obtained by taking the wage and discounting by the CPI. >>

Not stupid, just a little unspecific.  Median wage, average wage,
urban, rural, CPI, CPI-UX, etc. etc.  For free answers, check
out epinet.org.

>> One: Is this correct?  If not, how are "real wages" calculated?

Two: Has the CPI been adjusted since 1972 to take into account quality
improvements in, e.g., automobiles?  I could swear that it has always
been regularly adjusted, but a co-worker thinks otherwise.

The CPI is adjusted to a fare-thee-well for this and
numerous other things.  Reference:  Getting Prices Right,
by Dean Baker for EPI (book, costs $).

mbs

Bill