Interesting topic.  My comments do not represent official City of
Berkeley positions.

That said, like Henry Liu, I am also a planner, though a housing
planner.  However, working regionally, planners, designers,
architects, land use lawyers and a lot of forward looking
environmental thinkers of all hues of green are interested in
trade-offs between land use densities, urban design strategies
(the manner in which streets and land parcels are configured),
transportation, and housing development (including low-income
housing).  As Henry and Brad point out this is difficult, but it
is not impossible.

Brad, as I recall, mentions a bit heavy-handedly that it would
take "tearing down Berkeley bungalows" for dense apartment
buildings.   This is misleading as to the nature of creating
density.  Our first draft General Plan is calling for major
increases in downtown housing density, economies of scale from
which can be used to internally subsidize affordable housing
units.  But it is not necessary to raze whole neighborhoods to
create the density transit needs, in order to improve matters in
Berkeley.

It is important to realize that urban density creates markets:
for housing, street life, cultural outlets, retail businesses,
and transit.  We have a BART station downtown and about a half
dozen major AC Transit bus routes that converge on downtown.  The
key to making density work is to reduce parking for
street-jamming cars in favor of increasing people's reliance on
transit (as well as other travel modes like bikes and feet).  The
key to making transit work is to limit auto parking while
encouraging people to live near where they shop and work.

The wild card in all of this is UC Berkeley (which is exempt from
local property taxes and zoning), which tore down a parking
structure three blocks from campus and wants to rebuild it
instead of putting in MORE HOUSING.  More housing would not only
help take pressure off the Berkeley housing market, it would take
pressure off the city's street system because more students could
live closer to campus, rather than commute in from surrounding
suburbs of Berkeley.  (Other universities elsewhere are wildcards
too - I believe Columbia and Univ of Chicago have also behaved
like bulls in china shops over the years.)

Doug, there are many people in California - north and south - who
are interested in transit; I know, rhetorically and statistically
the numbers are on your side, but the transportation snarls out
here are bad going to worse (and beyond).  Poll data out here
indicate that Bay Area residents want something done about
housing shortages and highway snarls.

My response to Ms. Bock's inquiry is to suggest she look into the
proposals coming out from groups that are advocating for "smart
growth."  These groups include Planners Network, California
Futures Network <www.calfutures.org>, Urban Habitat Program
(which produced a nice pair of volumes on regional inequities and
tax base revenue sharing, and on transportation investment
inequities), all of whom are interested in building a
constituency for land use and property/sales tax reform to
address sprawling suburban development (which DOES continue
almost unabated).  Even corporate Bay Area is getting interested
in a regional approach to dealing with "sustainable development"
of our cities here.

I would also commend to Ms. Bock Myron Orfield's excellent report
on the Bay Area (available from Urban Habitat) and his book
METROPOLITICS for the Lincoln Institute on Land Policy
(Cambridge, MA).

More on this in an article I'm writing for Terrain magazine of
the Berkeley Ecology Center, due out in August.