See the documentary -- Taken for A Ride -- shown on PBS a couple of years ago.

    There is an analogy in the disappearance of transit to the desire on the
part of many in the electric de-regulation battle -- to "get off the grid" and
away from the big bad monopolies.  The grid is a community resource, as
transit was, and as the more affluent left transit for the private auto, so
too do many envision the affluent leaving the electric grid for private
generation.  Will the grid wither like transit?

Gene Coyle