>Audie Bock, the new Green Assembly representative from Cal. has a
>question for us.  She asked, about transit issues. She quotes: "I have
>the impression that mass transit and highway planning are treated as two
>separate and distinct issues.  I believe that when planning our highways
>in California we could incorporate mass transit. What is the economic
>feasibility of providing genuine mass transit throughout California?
>Should we, as legislators view these items as interrelated from an
>economic standpoint?"
>
>--
>
>Michael Perelman
>Economics Department
>California State University
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Chico, CA 95929
>530-898-5321
>fax 530-898-5901

How willing is she to promote the tear-down of blocks of bungalows in
Berkeley and their replacement with five-story apartment buildings, or to
promote the tear-down of large houses in Palo Alto and their replacement
with townhouses?

Mass transit seems to require much higher densities than we have at present
in California--even largely-urban California, outside of a very few
regions. And the currently chi-chi forms of mass transit--light rail a la
BART--appear, as best I can judge, to suck down huge amounts of money that
could be better spent on more busses and bus lanes.

But it's not my field. And land-use and transit planning is genuinely very
hard...

Brad DeLong

"Now 'in the long run' this [way of summarizing the quantity theory of
money] is probably true.... But this long run is a misleading guide to
current affairs. **In the long run** we are all dead.  Economists set
themselves too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous seasons they can
only tell us that when the storm is long past the ocean is flat again."

--J.M. Keynes
J. Bradford De Long; Professor of Economics, U.C. Berkeley;
Co-Editor, Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Dept. of Economics, U.C. Berkeley, #3880
Berkeley, CA 94720-3880
(510) 643-4027; (925) 283-2709 phones
(510) 642-6615; (925) 283-3897 faxes
http://econ161.berkeley.edu/