Bill,
I can't give you specific references to where Wayne Simpson and
Derek Hum's data is/will be published given the usual summer
hiatus plus the fact that the PanAm games are here and have
completely disrupted all activity at the university (which is the
athletes village) but, from what you say, their data/conclusions
differ from those you report.  They use SLID datat to which they
had special access to non-published micro data as 'guests' of
Stats Canada.  Both are highly skilled and reputable
econometricians and their conclusions refute those based on 1991
census data.  Given the quality of the data I would tend to accept
the SLID data over the Census data for this kind of analysis.
However, I hardly qualify as an expert in this field so I have to
concede to what I know.  Since I have discussed the method and
data with Derek and Wayne, I have to trust their judgement.
Therefore, I would  support their findings which (given my limited
econometric expertise seems impecable to me) suggests that
there is little/no visible minority discrimination to Canadian born in
Canda with the exception of black males -- with the proviso that the
data does not allow for an analysis of aboriginals -- of whom I think
we all agree there is discrimination against.

I will send you references to their work when normality returns to
the U of Manitoba.

Paul
Paul Phillips,
Economics,