> Also, Steve, how _did_ the US military keep track of the japanese-americans
> in Hawaii during WWII. I don't seem to recall that they were all rounded up
> under order 1066 but perhaps they were?
> Ann Z. Li

I'm not Steve but if I may be allowed to chime in...

comparatively speaking, there were few relocations/internments under
9066 in Hawaii although the first incarcerations occurred there when
about 700 prominent members of the Japanese community were detained
within a day or so after 12/7/41...the number grew to about 1300
persons forced to spend the war years in one of seven detention camps
in the islands...none of these individuals was ever charged with a
crime and their families were prohibited from visiting them...

then-Michigan Congressman John Dingell (father of current House member
Dingell) called for FDR to make 'hostages' of Japanese living in Hawaii
but plantation owners convinced US gov't that mass detentions would be
bad economics...Japanese & Japanese-Hawaiians were about 33% of the
population in the islands and so many people were controlled by a system
of plantation labor...

about 10,000 Japanese-Hawaiians served in one of two segregated army
units that fought in North Africa during WW2 (about 1200 incarcerated
Japanese-Americans on US mainland entered these units after 'passing'
government loyalty test)...   Michael Hoover