Henry wrote: >>>You are obviously a victim of the American press when it
comes to information on China.<<<

And continues: >As evident by you dig aboutt prison factories.  There are
prisons in China and they do work art some form of production, just like US
prisoners make liscense plates or what not.  <

Actually prisoners in the US do much more than make license plates. If you
call an 800 number [toll-free long-distance] to book an airplane flight or
something, you might be talking to a prisoner. It's a joint venture of
course.

>That doe not make them prison factories, except as defined by Freedom
House. Harry Wu, ... is a US imperialist agent.<

I'd like to hear from some independent expert on this subject. _Anyone_ can
throw around accusations like that "Harry Wu is a US imperialist agent"
(just like the Freedom House folks assert that I.F. Stone was a Soviet
agent or whatever). From the way Henry throws around accusations (and
agrees with the subversion charges against independent Chinese unionists),
_anyone_ from China who is even vaguely critical of that country will be
accused of being an agent, a revisionist, a subversive, or worse.

I think Henry Liu has proven himself to be extremely partisan in favor of
the Chinese government and so I don't think I can rely on him for such
assertions being true. Since, as he points out, I'm no expert on China, I
can't verify this charge for myself. So, I'd like to hear from an
independent expert, not only on Wu but on the prison factories.

My guess, BTW, is that Harry Wu is one of those characters who arise in
third world countries that the US cultivates, like some of the Chamorros in
Nicaragua or Aquino in the Philippines, as a potential "asset" in case the
ruling elite collapses. That doesn't mean, BTW, that what Wu says is always
wrong. (Similarly, Henry Liu's status of being a capitalist doesn't mean
that he's always wrong.) And some of these US potential assets turn against
the US.

>The collective in China are in fact run very democratically.  Of cource,
you may know better.<

No I don't. But a collective can very easily be like a craft-union local,
totally looking out for the collective #1. Or it could be under the
government's political thumb. Both can be consistent with having democratic
process.

>I am exhausted and have a lot of other things to do. We are not getting
anywhere.  Let's just disagree.<

You don't have to respond right away. That's why I waited a few days before
posting my last reply.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html