The UN Convention  for the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, which
Jim Craven has posted several times on the list specifically defines the mental
element (mens rea) of the crime of genocide as intent to kill or do an number of other
things to a goup as a whole OR IN PART. This intent to kill the WHOLE group is not a
requirement. Furthermore, it does not only include the act of killing members of a
group as members of a group, but torturing , maiming, removing children, et al. So
acts other than murder constitute genocide in the international law definition.

Charles Brown

>>> Brad De Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 07/22/99 07:58PM >>>
>
>One more question -- If slavery was not a Holocaust because the
>intention was not immediate death

I said that slavery did not seem to me to be "genocide"--because the
aim was not to destroy West Africans as a people, but rather to be
(and remain) in the business of bribing some of them to deliver
others bound and shackled to the slave ships at the coast. "Genocide"
seems to me to require that extermination be the end in view: the
Abenaki people do not live in Westbrook, ME any more.

I also said that we need another word for what happened to West
Africa and West Africans between 1600 and 1820 that carries an
equally powerful emotional load, but I don't know what that word is...

Brad DeLong