Roemer models the economy as a system of exchanges, which is the
criterion I suggested earlier for defining neoclassical economics.  From
that perspective (and assuming single exchange equilibria) one can
criticize only the distribution of initial endowments, as he has done.
(His political economy consists of the effects that asset inequality
have on the political system.)  Once we switch to the view that economic
institutions go beyond exchange and have irreducible social and
political aspects, we are in a much larger and more complex moral
universe.

For me, being on the left means that I think the notions of human rights
(Kant), democracy, and egalitarianism ought to be applied.  These do not
depend on acceptance of a labor theory of either economic or moral
value, although one version of egalitarianism (reward for contribution)
is consistent with a moral LTV.  My own view is that reward for
contribution may be pragmatically justified but is difficult to defend
as a principal basis for deciding what is "fair".  This is because most
of the determinants of what an individual is able to contribute are
beyond her control, because "deservingness" is only one component of
"fairness", and because, in practice, a reward-for-contribution system
is likely to lead to great inequalities.  In connection with the LTV,
recall the various methods that have been suggested for converting many
hours of "simple" labor into an hour of "skilled" labor (that slippery
concept of "skill") and the problems posed by housework, disabilities
that keep people out of the labor force, unpublished full-time poets and
gigless musicians, etc.

Peter