Thanks to Wojtek for his comments and reminder that
economic sociology is a good source of materials.
Dollars and Sense is located in Somerville, MA
(617-628-8411).

Like Wojtek, I used to ask students to write about their
jobs with fascinating results.  I once had a student
write a paper about the different control techniques
employed in the restaurant industry.  But this past
year, I taught a class of mostly traditional students
with little job experience outside of work-study.  Also
with little knowledge of what things cost or who controls
markets they deal with daily.  So now I require them to
do an investigation, using journalistic, not academic,
techniques.

                                Ellen Frank