> Date:          Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:40:05 -0400
> From:          Wojtek Sokolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Two points.  First, Christopeher Hitchens argues that Hillary's "reform"
> was, in fact, a move designed by big insurance firms and received a
> relatively mild oppsotion from smaller guys in the insurance biz. So it was
> hardly a propaganda blitz that "killed" that initiative.  Au contraire, the
> whole "initiative" was a scham never intented to be implemented as advertised.

Is this true? The small insurance folk put out endless inane
commercials which (U.Penn Annenberg School media researchers
convincingly show) tipped the public consciousness-balance. The small
business lobbyists beat up on wavering members of congress. It was
quite a revealing war; there's a debate between Skocpol and Navarro
about how to interpret it. I think the Clinton folk wanted a
relatively universal coverage plan that would at least have got some
95% into 'coverage,' but under the rubric of a handful of big
national plans marketed by the Jackson Hole group of big insurance
companies (led by Aetna, Prudential, etc). That would have been most
profitable for the Jackson Hole firms, with respect to the mix of
cross-subsidies and access-limited health services that would
maximise both insurance premium/investment profits and health-system
utilisation profits (a completely contradictory mix, of course, which
managed care has brought into the same organisation).

> I do not think that cost-efficiency should be of primary concern to the
> Left for a number of good reasons, chief among them being that insurance
> companies can take of that.

But they don't. They cut access and quality dramatically in the
process of destroying overaccumulated health capital, but the
share for admin keeps going up (to pay for expensive MBAs who sit
between physicians and patients, saying the latter can't get the
specialty care the former recommend because the averages don't
justify it). Surely outrageous CEO salaries are surface evidence of
massive overhead loading? There are plenty of studies on this,
including by the Harvard group who lobby for a national health
system.

> A much better strategy is to focus on universal coverage - which as I have
> argued - can be achieved by institutional arrangements that are not limited
> to a single payer public insurance scheme.

Do you want Hillary's big insurance co's running everything?
Putting them out of business through a single-payer is surely the
first necessary if insufficient step towards more thorough-going
reform of capitalist health care?

(Sorry I missed you in Baltimore last week, Wojtek... no transport
left me less flexible than I thought.)
Patrick Bond
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] * phone:  2711-614-8088
home:  51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa
work:  University of the Witwatersrand
Graduate School of Public and Development Management
PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone:  2711-488-5917 * fax:  2711-484-2729