I saw the following inquiry on MLG.  I figure that listers here must have
lots of expertise to help her.  Yoshie

*****  I am currently working on a project that examines how Giuliani has used
Quality of Life Initiatives to discriminate on the basis of class and race.
For example, I am now researching the Giuliani administrations efforts to
eliminate vendors from certain sections of Manhattan (Where?  Downtown and
Business Improvement Districts, of course.) In addition to analyzing public
discourse related to "problems" such as street-vendors, I am tracing the
development of these policies (problem definition, debate, implementation,
and enforcement).  To illustrate that such initiatives are representative of
the efforts by neo-conservative mayors to restructure cities (rather than
Giuliani as an anomaly), I must demonstrate similar moves by other
conservative mayors.  Therefore, I am requesting insight on quality of life
initiatives by mayors of other cities.  As this research is very current,
I'm thinking that writing to the list may help to identify policies that I
may have missed or, more importantly, identity something in the wind.

Thank you very much for any insight.  *****