Rob Schaap wrote:

> G'day Ajit,
>
> You write:
>
> >There are no "individuals" Rod, only subjects. Think about your own
> >'individuality'. Who are you? Your own ego is associated with your name, which
> >was given to you by others, and you learnt what it means only in the relations
> >with those others. Your nationality, your gender, your race, your
> >ethnicity, you
> >being a son, a father, a brother, a husband, etc. etc. are all nothing but
> >various relationships that define your so-called individuality to yourself. If
> >you think that there is somewhere a pure you, independent of all these
> >relations, then try finding that pure self and let us know who it is and
> >how is
> >it significant to anybody else. First of all, I would suggest, try to see if
> >your pure self is a 'Man' or a 'Woman'?
>
> What would be wrong with the observation that we are, each and everyone of
> us, exclusively the product of relations (I'll leave physiological
> variability out of it for the purposes of the argument - I am surely who I
> am partly because I've a dick, testosterone, a typically male brain, and a
> big body that's good at lifting and shoving) and we are also individuals?
> None of you is the product of the particular relations that produced me,
> surely?  Doesn't that make me an individual right now?  I 'will' things,
> and I will different things in different ways than you do.  And I
> experience my peculiar will and my ways of willing as 'that who I am'.  A
> very fundamental part of human being indeed, I'd've thought.  One to bear
> in mind in one's politics, no?
>
> Or do I miss the point?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

____________G'day Rob! I think you are missing something. Let's suppose you are
patriot who wills to fight and die for his country. Where does this willing of
yours come from, where you a born patriot? The point is that the will has no
meaning independent of action, and your actions can only be understood in the
context of a web of relations. So at the epistemological level, what good is will
for? Its existence or non-existence has no meaning. We are not denying that people
are different. Cheers, ajit sinha