I am convinced!  Good approach.

-------------

mbs:  You're much too easy.  If abortion is murder (not my position,
BTW), then Yoshie's remarks about women are beside the point.
The pro-life position, rightly or not, begins from the standpoint of
the unborn
*person*. The fact that mothers fare differently and unfairly under an
abortion
ban, while regrettable in its own right,  is irrelevant from the
standpoint of
the unborn.  That some murders can never be prevented does not mean
that one should not try to prevent them.

> . . .
> There are other arguments as well, but I doubt that there are many
> *progressive* women who are anti-abortion enough to disregard *other
> women's needs*.

I don't think that any such women disregard the needs of women;
but they have made the decision that the needs of the unborn have
greater standing.

Yoshie understands the pro-life movement as an anti-woman
movement, as in:
>> . . . The root problem for them is not abortion per se; what they
rage against is
the changed and changing social capacity and status of women--our
independence from men, marriage, motherhood, and other gender-defining
institutions. . . . >>

I think this is a very inaccurate generalization.  It is certainly
true
of some.

To my 'bargaining' point, Y said:

One can bargain about prices of properties, which are things separable
from
persons; but one can't bargain about a degree of pregnancy, unless one
is
ready to reduce a woman's body to a thing. . . . >>

>From an individual standpoint, I quite agree.  But as above,
the rhetoric of 'reducing a women's body to a thing" would be said by
the
other side to apply to the fetus.  In these terms, it is true that
there is no
middle ground.  If one or the other has inherent rights, there is no
ground
for dialogue or compromise.

There is ground for compromise if it is acknowledged that the rights
of
both woman and unborn are not absolute.  Any compromise would not
involve groups whose entire constitution is premised on promotion of
one or the other absolute.  Rather, it would reflect the middle ground
where most people are.  The purpose would be to create a political
consensus for the pursuit of major goals, not the least of which
should
be addressing the access problem.

mbs