> Hannah Arendt is perhaps the pioneer. It's been 40 years since I read
> it, but she did identify naziism & communism as a unique species
> called "totalitarian." One of her claims, if I remember correctly, was
> that totalitarian terror did not begin until after it was technically no
> longer needed because all resistance had already been crushed.
> It's a long book so there's a lot in it I don't remember at all. I can't
> even remember the exact title, but it included either "totalitarian"
> or "totalitarianism." Published in the 1950s. It was I think her first
> book???
> Carrol

Arendt's book was _The Origins of Totalitarianism_, first published in
1951 (I think).

Others writing at that time (or a bit later) who wrote, in different
ways, about totalitarianism were Rolf Dahrendorf, J. T. Talmon, Bernard
Crick, Karl Popper, and Raymond Aron.  This diverse group was in
general agreement about 'closed societies' (fascist & communist) as
distinct from 'open societies' (liberal democracy).  Thus, the
concept of totalitarianism was linked to Cold War attitudes and such
analysis concealed signifcant differences between collective Soviet
economy with system of central planning and capitalist economy with
big business working closely with political state that continued
throughout Nazi period.  It also ignored changes in Soviet Union
in post-war period.  Plus, fascism and communism are ideologically
divergent.

Of course, Frankfurters used the term totalitarian prior to 1950s.
Marcuse, who acknowledged that the term was too abstract and
vague, nevertheless, used it in relation to control and domination
of Nazis, Soviets *and* 'advanced' capitalist societies (pre-figuring
analyses in _Soviet Marxism_ and _One Dimensional Man_).

Talmon coined phrase 'totalitarian democracy' to identify collectivist
ideas that ostensibly denied liberty, tracing them to Rousseau.

Michael Hoover