Michael Keany:
>As one willing to have his mind changed by superior argument, regardless of
>its geographical source, what would be the principled Marxist response to
>the problems of East Timor? I am sufficiently familiar with the awful
>history, and recognise the culpability, complicity, duplicity, involvement,
>etc., of the Western powers. What I want to know is, what is to be done
>given the present conjuncture?

I am not sure who you are referring to when you ask "what is to be done".
Does this mean what the UN should do? Or the radical movement? I can only
answer the second question. The radical movement should do everything in
its power to assist East Timorese self-determination. The concrete slogans
and forms of action should conform--as always--to the objective situation.

Louis Proyect