At 07:50 AM 9/29/99 -0700, Jim Devine wrote:

>yours truly) have made several times. If one believes in the Weberian
>"Protestantism caused capitalism" theory (which I do not), the Catholics

Jim, I think that is a rather distorted view of Weber's theory, which is
much more subtle.  It deals with the issue of the relationship between
political/economic power and cultural institutions.  Rather than saying
that cultural instituions (religions, value systems) cause certain economic
development (like capitalism), Weber treats them as instruments of that
development.  That is, social groups or classes that gain economic or
political power try to legitimate their power by using cultural
institutions as instruments to that end.  That instrumentality, in turn,
depends on "elective affinity" that is, certain values, beliefs, or
behaviors embedded in a particular cultural institution that are
particularly useful for the interests of the power group in question.

Thus, the usefulness of protestantism over catholicism was differences in
work ethic - while catholicism stressed the concern with wordly affairs
should be limited to the level necessary to surivive, protestantism anxiety
and the need to 'prove' oneself in the material world.  That made
protestant ethic useful to instill behavioral traits that were desirable
from a point of view of those profited of the labor of others.  That is,
there was and elective affinity between protestant "arbeit macht frei"
ethics and capitalist insterests which explains the popularity of
protestantism among nascent capitalists.

In essence I interpret Weber's view of cultural institutions as an extnsion
of Marx's idea of linking the class interest of those who control the means
of material production to the regulation and distribution of the production
of ideas.

wojtek