On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, James M. Blaut wrote:

> Doug:
>
> It isn't fair to faulty the critique of Eurocentrism by saying thaT  it
> doesn't correct other problems, like class issues in the European world.
>
> Thats like saying, when we get a cure for AIDS, "oh, thats not really
> important because we haven't cured cancer."

Hi Jim B,
If I recall correctly, Brenner's main beef with Wallerstein was that his
approach tended to either overlook or minimize the importance of class
relations within 'periphery' nation-states, which he and a good  # of
Marxists at the time were concerned led to significant problems for
liberation movements located there.

Wallerstein and Frank's methodologies, in the eyes of these Marxists at
least, led progressives in advanced capitalist (advanced in terms of
development of capitalist relations of production, not in any other sense
it should go without saying) countries to support all kinds of bourgeois
tomfooolery in the 'periphery', only to later end up disappointed that
their nationalist heroes were unable to do much more than implement IMF
adjustment plans...

So I would argue that Doug's point gets to the heart of what inspired
Brenner to make his arguments against Wallerstein and Frank's
methodologies.

Steve