WS:  . . .  You also dismiss my argument that you may not have sufficient
empirical evidence to sort out effects of different variables by simply
calling it "babble."  Well, my friend, if you ran a multiple regression with
twelve variables plus interaction effects and six cases - you would be
laughed out of the stage.  What makes you think that a case-based approach
is any different, from a methodological point of view. . . . >>

Tho I agree JB has been a little too big for his britches,
I wonder what the above means for historical analysis.
More often than not there are not sufficient cases to
use statistical tests of hypotheses; or the question
is too broad to admit of analysis via a data set. So
where does that leave historians, both economic and
otherwise?

mbs