Wojtek:
>Charles, the ethical aspects of colonialism aside - if the wealth of
>European capitalism originated in the third world, why did not that wealth
>produce economic development on a par with capitalism outside Europe prior
>to the plunder?

I'm not Charles, but I'd like to take a crack at that. In reality, Europe
was relatively underdeveloped in AD 1250-1350. Here's Janet Abu-Lughod's
take on medieval China in "Before European Hegemony":

In the past, before western scholars had sufficient information about
China’s achievements in science and technology, it was commonly argued that
Europe’s eventual triumph in the world was the result of her unique
scientific and technological inventiveness, and, conversely, that
Orientals, although perhaps "clever" had never been able to sustain a
scientific revolution. The voluminous investigations of Needham (inter
alia, 1954—85, 1970, have more than corrected this error. We now have much
documentation on Chinese contributions to medicine and physiology, physics
and mathematics, as well as their more practical applications in
technology. According to Sivin (1982: 105—106), Needham did not go far
enough; he stopped short of admitting that, by Sung times, China had had a
true scientific "revolution," a position strongly argued by Chinese
scholars (e.g., Li et al., 1982; although Chang, 1957, dissents). Whether
or not the term "scientific revolution" is justified, there can be no doubt
that in late medieval times the level of Chinese technical competence far
exceeded the Middle East, which, in turn, had outstripped Europe for many
centuries. Space permits only a few examples here: paper and printing, iron
and steel, weaponry (including guns, cannons, and bombs), shipbuilding and
navigational techniques, as well as two primary manufactured exports, silk
and porcelain.

According to Tsien (in Li et al., 1982: 459):

"paper was invented in China before the Christian era, adopted for wnting
at the beginning of the 1st century A.D., and manufactured with new and
fresh fibres from the early 2nd century... . Woodblock printing was first
employed.., around 700 A.D. and moveable type in the middle of the 11th
century."

Some time in the ninth century, the Arabs learned the process of paper
making from the Chinese and later transmitted that precious knowledge to
"westerners." Braudel (1973: 295) suggests that the first European paper
mills appeared in twelfth-century Spain but that the Italians did not begin
to produce paper until the fourteenth Century; Cipolla (1976: 206), basing
his remarks on a 1953 article by Irigoin, however, claims that by the
second half of the thirteenth Century the court in Byzantium no longer
bought its paper from the Arabs but from Italy. (For more details, see T.
F. Carter, 1925, revised 1955.) But in any case, China’s edge was significant.

Even more impressive than paper manufacture were Chinese advances in
siderurgy, which were several hundred years in advance of Europe’s. From at
least the eighth century onward, coal was being mined in northern China and
used in furnaces that produced high-quality iron and even steel "either by
means of the Co of pig iron and wrought iron, or by direct decarbonization
in a cold oxidizing blast" (Elvin, 1973: 86; see also Needham and Steel
Production in Ancient and Medieval China," 19 reproduced in Needham, 1970:
107—112, and the works of Hartwell, 1962, 1966, 1967).

Hartwell’s (1967) estimates of the scale of iron production are truly
staggering. By his calculations, the tonnage of coal annually in the
eleventh century for iron production alone in northren China was "roughly
equivalent to 70 percent of the amount of coal annually used by all metal
workers in Great Britain at the beginning of the eighteenth century"
(Hartwell, 1967: 122) By the end of the eleventh century the Sung were
minting coins and making many metal products as well. According to Hartwell
(1967: 122—123):

"7,000 workers were engaged in actually mining the ore and fuel operating
the furnaces, forges, and refining hearths. . . [while] others were engaged
in transporting the raw materials from the mines to the iron works.   The
scale of production at individual establishments was unprecedented.. . and
probably was not equalled anywhere in the world until the Industrial
Revolution of the nineteenth century."

If we add to the workers engaged in direct ore extraction and processing
those workers who fabricated tools and weaponry, can be no doubt as to the
high level of China’s development.

To some extent, such technological advances proved to be undoing. Elvin
(1973: 18, 84—87) suggests that the invading Chin not only adopted the
methods of metallurgy from northern China ( but passed them along to the
Mongols who learned to tip arrows with metal; this significantly improved
their military might and gave them the power to defeat not only Russia but
event both the Chin and the Southern Sung.

In any case, the invasion of the north by these nomadic groups precipitated
a decline in the amount of iron produced in that region. Hartwell suggests
that demographic and institutional changes both played a part in this
retrenchment, which had begun to show up by the middle of the thirteenth
century. During Chin times, the population of the northern iron-producing
region had remained roughly constant and, with it, the level of production
and demand.

Louis Proyect