I had written:
>>According to the US ECONOMIC REPORT OF THE PRESIDENT, 1999, Table B-105,
>>total imports from non-Industrial countries in the first 3 quarters of 1998
>>(at an annual rate) equaled 414.9 billion US$, which is more than 45
>>percent of total US imports.

wojtek asks:
>Is that $415b the value of the imports at their wholesale or retail value?
>If the former, the thousand or so percent markup at retail will generate
>what, some $4,000 billion in profits for the capitalist class in the US, no?

I'm pretty sure these imports are priced using retail prices. However, we
can't presume that all of the profits are taken by the US capitalist class.
Some go to the rest of the OECD nations' capitalists. Some go to the Third
World's home-grown capitalists. After all, here in LA, I've seen trucks for
the Mexico-based Pan Bimbo company (which produces Wonder-like bread) and a
branch of the Lippobank, the bank associated with those Indonesian richies
who seem to have been involved in one of Clinton's many money-related
scandals. Some go into numbered bank accounts. I'm not sure it matters what
the nationality of the capitalist is.

>3% does not sound like much (assuming that figure is about right). But if
>we assume that imports from non-industrial core countries are goods rather
>than services, and that about 2/3 of GDP is services, a more relevant
>figure for this discussion is 9%, without considering unequal exchange.

Not only that, but the percentage of the US GDP spent on services is
_rising_. This means that that along with the general rise in the share of
imports from nonindustrial countries in US GDP that I mentioned before,
there's another reason why imports from low-wage areas is rapidly becoming
more important to the US economu.

On this topic, there's an excellent article by Robert Feenstra in the Fall
1998 JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES that sheds dramatic doubt on the
Krugmaneque pooh-poohing of the importance of imports from low wages (that
Brad shares). For example, he calculates the ratio of trade to domestic
value-added of "merchandise" (tangible goods). For the US, this ratio fell
from 14.3 in 1889 to 9.6 percent in 1960 (reflecting the major
deglobalization of the interwar years and only partial recovery after that)
but then _soared_ to 35.8 percent in 1990.

Further, to quote Dani Rodrik's summary, "If globalization results in the
outsourcing of activities, with the least skill-intensive processes
_within_ manufacturing shifting to developing [sic] countries, skill
upgrading of the type we have observed [i.e., a shift away from demand for
unskilled labor and toward skilled labor in the US] would be the direct
consequence of [increased] trade. In effect, trade and technological change
could be observationally equivalent." Establishmentarian economists have
been blaming the increased wage gap (between the wages at the bottom of the
wage hierarchy and those at the top) on an unexplained _diablo ex machina_
who decided to punish the working poor with "skill-biased technical change"
(p. 6). Feenstra is saying that we cannot presume that the _diablo_ is
there (especially, I might add, since people like Jamie Galbraith have
provided excellent criticisms of this skill bias theory), since the
globalization of trade, including out-sourcing, has a similar impact.

In the same issue, Maurice Obstfeld points to the fact that (in theory)
capital mobility out of the rich countries tends to hurt workers there (p.
21). He then pooh-poohs this theory, based on what seems to be irrelevant
data. BTW, this fits with the sociology of neoclassical economists I've
noticed (at least in the US). The tribe worships International Trade and
actively attacks those heretics who criticize It, while ignoring the fact
that trade cannot be separated from capital flows.

Strictly speaking, the worship of free trade doesn't really make sense even
from a neoclassical position, since free markets aren't supposed to produce
good results unless they're perfect, e.g., lacking external costs. But
there are no markets that don't involve external costs, both technical and
pecuniary.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://clawww.lmu.edu/~JDevine