Call your Rep and ask them to co-sponsor the Kucinich Bill, which would
force the IMF to close ESAF and cancel all debt owed to it by HIPC countries
and Haiti as a condition of receiving any resources from the U.S. or from
gold sales.

Jubilee South

Rep. Dennis Kucinich
U.S. House of Representatives

Dear Mr. Kucinich:

On behalf of my colleagues in Jubilee South and in the member Jubilee 2000
campaigns in Africa, Asia-Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, I would
like to convey to you our support for your, Rep. Jim Saxton's and others'
efforts to delink debt cancellation from the required implementation of IMF
structural adjustment programs.

The effective imposition of these policies on our countries by the IMF, the
World Bank and the other international financial institutions has had a
devastating impact not only on large segments of our population and on our
natural environments but also on our national productive capacities and on
our societies generally. Poverty-reduction programs, including those
presently being considered in the discussions on ESAF reform, are woefully
inadequate to address these problems. It is the adjustment policies
themselves, as the cause of our social, economic and financial crises, that
must be addressed.

Hence, we reject those initiatives that condition debt relief on adoption by
our governments of IMF and Bank policies and commend you again for bringing
this critical issue to the attention of your colleagues.

Sincerely,

Lidy Nacpil
Member, Convening Committee

c/o Freedom from Debt Coalition, The Philippines

Robert Naiman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Preamble Center
1737 21st NW
Washington, DC 20009