(i've trying to send this for 24 hours)

I had written:

Yoshie writes:
>So, maybe your disagreement with Wood is not so much about her basic
>narrative as whether you focus on the long or short run?  What are
>necessary inputs for self-reproduction are historically created (both
>objectively and subjectively), right?  So, as long as the market shapes our
>environment and expectations, aren't we "subject to market imperatives"?

I agree with Wood that market imperatives are quite important, but I think
she goes too far.

Part of my disagreement is that I don't think these market-created
constraints are as "binding" as Wood suggests, since there markets are
seldom perfect (or seldom fit the standard model). (To use the example I
used before, a farmer or company that enjoys a technological advantage can
garner a rent, which means that they can deviate from the market norm,
perhaps even getting involved in genuine charity, though this is quite rare.)

My other disagreement was with the way she assumes the existence of class
relations (since she talks about tenant farmers) and then forgets about it,
blaming competition in product and input markets alone.

It's true that the nature of the "necessary inputs for self-reproduction
[is] historically created." But the way in which such needs are created is
complex and affects farmers and others pursuing self-sufficiency
differently than it does proletarians. A self-sufficient peasant at least
has the satisfaction of being independent, of having some insulation from
market imperatives, of not having to submit to some boss.

So I think that this means that rather than simply a matter of the rise of
the market driving peasants into the proletariat, self-sufficient peasants
have more ability to choose, so that it's a matter of choosing to give up
independence for the potentially greater living standards that come from
being someone else's employee. (Getting into debt in order to raise one's
living standards while being independent eventually leads to having this
choice taken away.) For a lot, they choose to combine independent farming
with urban proletarian labor. (Even though this example fits with recent
experience, strictly speaking almost all farmers in the US today are far
from being self-sufficient.) Note also that independent farmers have the
advantage (in competition with capitalist ones) in that they don't have to
sell their product at a price high enough to earn a "normal" profit (the
average profit rate for society).

If we bring in the issue of the long-term, it's also crucial to remember
that independent businesses do not simply suffer from the slings and arrows
of competition from the market (low prices from capitalist competitors,
etc.) Competition also works through political means, as the capitalists
use their influence over infrastructural investment, zoning laws, and the
like to drive out their less influential competitors. (Big capitalist firms
are also able to get better credit ratings and lower interest rates from
banks and special deals from merchants.) Independent peasants have often
been driven to the worst land by such political means.

My point was we shouldn't simply look at the external imperatives imposed
by markets but also at the internal solidity of the organizations subjected
to the acid of market competition. In the long run, the capitalists use the
power they accumulate to undermine the solidity of their smaller
competitors in a large number of ways, not just via low prices of outputs.

If Wood includes the political and similar dimensions as part of her
conception of the market and competition (rather than sticking to the
neoclassical vision of price competition alone), then we don't differ that
much, except for the issue of class relations being important to pushing
tenant farmers to emulate capitalist logic.

BTW, can someone point me to the exact place that Marx talks about
self-exploitation by worker co-ops in THE POVERTY OF PHILOSOPHY? I can't
find it.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/JDevine.html