Michael P. wrote:
>Jim, I think that you make a powerful point that production in the
>periphery is important.  Did Brenner ever deny that?

I don't know which Jim this is for. But because I'm an egomaniac, I'll
assume it's for me.

As far as I can tell (since I've not read all his works), Brenner _never_
denied the importance of production in the periphery.

What he denied was that capitalist social relations of production ("free"
wage labor, tenant farmers dependent on the market both for inputs,
including means of subsistence, and outputs) existed in the periphery prior
to the European invasion and conquest. (I would add in the importance of
threshold effects, so that "just a little" capitalism in isolation won't do.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/JDevine.html