> Right now, on the real side, there is no going back to the old system,
> much less a GAI.  The more you demand it, the more irrelevant you
> get.  The game is different now.  If you don't want to take my word
> for it, ask the advocates who work in the trenches.

I agree that organizing around a GAI is probably not the best thing the for
the left at this time. As you and others have pointed out, the LP's right to
a job and transfers in the name of "child support" are potentially much more
fruitful avenues. But then again, it was no accident that Nixon's GAI was
called the Family Assistance Plan. As for those who toil in the political
trenches, my fear is that 1) their understanding of the politically possible
is not as capacious as it should be, and 2) many seem to be operating from
St. Paul's dictum that if one does not work, neither should she or he eat.

mark