At 09:49 14/10/99 PDT, Rod wrote:
>Carrol. I can not disagree with anything that you said. (except that EEG's
>measure electric fields not chemical changes.) There is much ignorance about
>the subject (I read somewhere that there are over one hundred message
>bearing chemicals in the brain and scientist understand the purpose of five
>or six) and a lot of what is said even by the experts is pure guesswork. It
>is clear that the "materialist" purely chemical explanation leaves a lot to
>be desired. There is something more there than chemistry but we don't yet
>know what it is. (And, No! I am not a dualist.)

Not a mere hundred, a *thousand* chemical neurotransmitters have been
identified in the brain. These are the chemicals released in tiny pulses
across the synapses to stimulate or destimulate the likelihood of a
depolarisation spreading to the next neurone. And of those neurochemical
transmitters that have been studied in detail such as serotonin and
dopamine they have each half a dozen of sub-types of receptor.

Emergent properties are well modelled in complexity theory, but they do
have to have simple processes of interaction between the component cells
for an emergent property to occur. I am not sure that the example of
mechanical electrical clocks wired together is really analogous with nature.

In the marxian critique of classical economics value is an emergent
property of the interaction of millions of commodity exchanges. Marx did
not use the word emergent, he just analysed the dynamic at both the
cellular and the macro level.

A recent paper in Nature has an intriguing bridge between the cellular
level of brain function and the dynamic level of mind function in the
analysis of magnetic imaging in relation to the perception of objects. All
that has to be predicated is that the perception of an object makes the
perception of one of its related attributes more likely.

And that applies equally well if the object is an object or, as in the
usage of object relations theory, a human being with whom one has an
important emotional investment.