At 07:58 AM 10/19/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I have two requests for book suggestions this morning.  First, a
>leftish, mostly liberal colleague asked me what the best book would be
>to introduce him to political economy.  I assume that he will not do
>well with a book that is too theoretical...

Bowles & Edwards' UNDERSTANDING CAPITALISM is pretty accessable, though
they fetishize their math too much and it's a bit dated. And Edwards,
Reich, & Weisskopf's THE CAPITALIST SYSTEM has some good stuff, though that
book may be out of print. I'm not really of their school, but they do make
an effort to reach the general reader.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://clawww.lmu.edu/~JDevine