HK:  . . .
Hence I am still interested in what you and other signers would have
written differently - not in terms of another wording of the statement, but
of an another analytical view of U.S. economic reality and U.S. economic
policy.

By the way - early in November there will be a repeat of last years' "Third
way" meeting featuring Clinton, Blair etc. One cannot rule out the
possibility that Clinton will advocate "positive features of U.S. policy."

For a moment I'll venture to speak for EPI, and
not just myself.

For us the crux of the matter is a failure to focus
like a laser beam on the Bundesbank and the German
role in upholding restrictive monetary and fiscal
policy in the EU.

Some do this from a Blairite/Clintonoid perspective
with babble about the Third Way, while some lefts
lurch in the opposite direction for different reasons.

Speaking for myself again, one left posture is to
damn European unification in principle.  But without
the EU/ECB/EMU, the German influence on European
employment via the Bundesbank is manifest.  So an
anti-EU posture deals the left out of the fundamental
issue of employment.  By contrast, the project of
democratizing the EU/ECB/EMU through EU-wide organizing
for full employment makes more sense to me and is
consistent with the basic Keynesian focus of the statement.

There has been no deliberate Keynesian policy in the U.S.
since the 1970's.  So as far as deficit spending goes,
there is NOTHING positive in the U.S. sphere.

The monetary situation is different.  Here there is the
irony that the Fed and Greenspan project an image of
toughness but, compared to Europe, have been relatively
easy in their policy.  I've said I don't think this was
prompted by concerns for employment.  Greenspan is on
record requesting that the Fed charter be amended to
restrict the Fed's mission to price stability.  Instead,
I speculate that Fed policy has been easy (relatively!)
out of fear of a bursting bubble and hordes of angry
mutual fund investors.

Max Sawicky
Economic Policy Institute