At 07:28 24/10/99 +0200, you wrote:
>On 23 Oct 99, at 23:59, Chris Burford wrote:
>> ... there are various politicised charities in the UK
>> who want a bigger type of reform than just annulment of the debt. Nor are
>> they any longer restricting themselves to calling for advantageous trade
>> deals.
>
>Oxfam Int'l's people endorsed the IMF's turn to poverty reduction
>last month. The progressive South groups rejected it
>wholeheartedly (see below). Who are you going to support, Chris?
>
>> I am not trying to persuade you not to campaign as effectively as you can,
>> but I cannot see that third world countries have much leverage. What do you
>> think progressives in first world countries should do?
>
>Get with the programme?

Before commenting on the document I want to comment on the approach.

As a matter of principle, living in London, I would start out with an
assumption that I should support Oxfam or a similar organisation like World
Development Movement which is London based. (I am a fee-paying member of
WDM.) That principle is the principle of the primacy of practice over
theory. What can be done is related to where you are.

Things can be done in Bangkok which cannot be done in London. Things can be
done in London which cannot be done in Bangkok.

It is not possible to distinguish between reformatory initiatives and
reformist ones unless they are judged in relation to the political
possibilities and the balance of forces.
In the British context WDM is pretty shrewd at that, and beat the
Government over the Pergau Dam.

In a spirit of internationalism we must recognise that progresssive people
are in different places and have to come to things from different angles.
If this forms a sort of international united front in which people like
those from Thailand are advanced elements and people from countries like
Britain and the USA are only middling elements, then so be it. This is
ultimately about changing things, not about a morality contest.

We have a problem about how we use the internet for international
solidarity because it can create the illusion that we are all in one club.
That is an idealist illusion and we need to relate our contributions to
where we come from. Many mailing software programmes do not identify the
country in the address name. This is why I sign my posts as coming from
London.

So my starting point would be to read the assessment of the WDM, but I
welcome the opportunity for international exchange like this and would want
to draw to its attention the viewpoints of the more radical Southern
campaigners.

Chris Burford

London