BN:
. . . Almost all politically active Jews, zionist or not, in the United
States vigorously support the separation of religion and state *in the
United States.* But the overwhelming majority of politically active zionists
in the United States do *not* support the separation of religion and state
in Israel. That is, they believe that Israel is and should be a *Jewish
state*. . . . >>>

Quite right.  My point is:  this belief has NOTHING to do with Judaism the
religion, orthodox or otherwise.  It's a matter of group identification, not
the content of religious doctrine, faith, or institutions.

The best proof of this is the stance of the ancient, backward Jewish
orthodox tradition in Europe.  Prior to WWII, it was starkly opposed to
Zionism.  The Israeli state, founded by secularists of the right and left,
reconstructed Jewish orthodoxy in Israel.  The tradition was re-invented,
and not, as we know, for the better.  Linkage is not the issue; the
direction of causality is.

Cheers,
mbs