Let's go back to the videotape for a second.
You said:

" . . . Shahak convincingly argues that racism and a pre-Enlightenment world
view are endemic to orthodox Judaism as it is practiced in Israel today.
Note
that there is no separation of religion and state in Israel, so that this
is a matter of no small social consequence. For example, the vast majority
of land in Israel is reserved for use by Jews only. . . . "

I've already made clear I have no idea what Shahak
said, so we can put that misleading impression from
me aside.  Tendentious in this context means making
more out of a link than merited, or implying a link
means something it doesn't.

This is further signalled in this remark:
" . . . Students of religion refer to Islam and Judaism as "orthopraxy"
rather than "orthodoxy" religions like Christianity because the emphasis is
on correct behavior rather than correct belief. So perhaps it is not
surprising that in Israel correct belief does not play so great a role as it
might in a Christian state. . . . "

My objection is that behavior in re: orthodox Judaism has
nothing whatsoever to do with a Jew acquiring or retaining
the privileges of Israeli citizenship.  Nor, as you note, does
belief.  By
virtue of their political power, orthodox Jews in Israel have
some effect in regulating behavior and making public policy.
But if you are born a Jew you can live like a heathen and still
be a citizen.  We are well short of the point where the Israeli
orthodox can vet everyone who applies for citizenship under the
Law of Return.  As you know from our local news, the Israeli state
 recently took
in a known murderer and shielded him from extradition to the
U.S. on the grounds of his alleged dual citizenship.  There
was also the Ethiopian airlift; was that supported by the
extreme orthodox religious people, or by the Likud
government as a nationalist maneuver?  I would guess the
latter, though I would welcome correction or elaboration.

You would also probably agree that racism and pre-Enlightenment
views are not exclusive to the orthodox in Israel.  Again, the
leading role of non-orthodox Jews in the founding of Israel and
its governing ever since.  In a way, an over-emphasis on orthodox
religious faith lets secular Jewish Zionists off the hook.

I would agree that orthodoxy now has an important role in Israel
as a general right-wing counter-weight, and worse as a breeding
ground for West Bank settler/shock troops, among other negative
roles.  The religious content of this, I reiterate,
reflects a decided evolution away from pre-wwII orthodoxy.  The fact
of medieval Jewish authoritarianism is to me a very weak source of
explanation for the evolution of Israeli society.  Don't most
religions have authoritarian traditions somewhere in their
past?  (that's a real question, not a rhetorical one).

I agree that a focus on Taliban relative to Gush Emunim etc.
can be overdrawn in light of the U.S. roles w/respect to each
situation.  Of course, the U.S. is not absent from recent Afghani
history either.

When we have a spare month we can argue about the democratic
secular state.  I'm afraid it's a pipe dream.

mbs