If someone said that "high school" is affordable to most Americans that
would probably be found quite unacceptable. Why is it that the state's
obligation to provide education to everyone who can benefit does not extend
to post-secondary education?University should be free, as it is in Cuba. I
don't know what the situation in Europe is but I expect in many countries
tuition is less than in the US or paid for by the state. In the former USSR
it seems to me I recall that students used to complain about their living
expenses!
  Cheers, Ken Hanly