Michael Perelman. wrote:

>Is it fair to say that prior to the 1850s that virtually no writings
existed
>concerning environmental problems, other than what was found in literary
>sources?
>
>--

Your subject line and question are asking different questions, I think. Are
you interested in environmentalism or environmental problems? I'm not sure
the former requires the latter. Depending on how you're defining
"environmentalism", you could turn to writers such as Vico, St. Francis,
Linnaeus, Gilbert White, Plato...
At any rate, you might find interesting chapters one and two of Donald
Worster's *Nature's Economy*. Robert Pogue Harrison's *Forests: The Shadow
of Civilization* is also very food--his book is a cultural history of
forests and absolutely a wonderful read. My short answer to your question
is, "No."

Frances