One of the items below refers to the housing component of the CPI, which is
based on "owners' equivalent rent," the rent that homeowners would have to
pay to occupy their present dwellings.  It is stated that the purchase price
of houses often moves in the opposite direction from rents, thus biasing the
CPI.

In fact we know that rents lag house prices by about 18 months.  Hence the
housing price inflation of 1997 - 1998 is just now being felt in the rental
market.  The result is that inflation for the last two years was understated
while inflation for 1999 and 2000 will be overstated.  Over the course of
the business cycle it averages out.

Dave

application/ms-tnef