Jim's restatement of the Brenner thesis coincides with what Marx said and what
Ellen Wood said.  I think the problem with this whole debate is that we have a
tendency to label individuals as right or wrong and then apply these labels in
a slap dash way without any feel for the context.  Nobody ever has written a
study of a particular episode in history that can be applied everywhere and
every time without modification.

I think it makes more sense to learn what we can learn from a writer, whether
it be Brenner or Frank or Wallerstein, without either writing them off as
entirely wrong or putting them on a pedestal and declaring that they are
altogether correct.

I guess that's what they mean by sectarianism.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321