I didn't mention ROR, but if it could be measured that would be fine.
Usually it can't.  Obviously reporting it, and gearing policy to maximizing
profits are two different things.

It is widely recognized that accounts should distinguish between
investment and expense, but the budget rules make no such
distinction and (non-defense) investment is slighted as a result.

for instance, under the budget caps an investment is scored as
its total up-front cost, not as a business would treat it in reporting
income and expenses.

mbs