Japan grew very fast in the postwar period because its previous economists
were mostly excluded because of their fascist past, leading to a void that
Marxist trained economists filled.  Eventually, Japan started hiring mostly
orthodox economists and their economy slowed down.

During the Depression, economists in the U.S. became more open.  The economy
boomed.  Leftist economists began to be excluded with McCarthyism and the
like.  Then the economy slowed down.  During the '60s, more lefties were
hired within a decade or so economy began to boom again.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321