[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< We count on _you_ (= Justin Schwartz), but can we count on the ACLU
 in general?

  >So, it all depends on which faction within the ACLU has power in each
 chapter & national organization, no?

 > As an ACLU insider, you could try to change its priorities, so it
 won't waste resources defending corps' freedoms.

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that you can count on the ACLU to defend core
political speech, period, regardless of "faction." Try David Goldberger,
Yoshie: he's a pretty conservative, very "patriotric" guy. But if the cops
try to shut you down, he'll be a rock. There is no other reason to be in the
ACLU unless you feel that way. Heaven knows it doesn't pay.

FYI, for all you ACLU-bashers, insofar as the prioritiesare the Illinois
chapter are reflected in the newsletter thata rrived today. I see the ACLU
here (a) won a settlement barring the North Shore village of Highland Park
from engaging in racial profiling in traffic endforcement; (b) fought a
winning lawsuit defending women's right to choose against antichoice
legislators; (c) are fighting the Mayor of Chicago's new anti-gang loitering
program after smashig the city on this in the S.Ct last term--and that's just
for starters. I say if big tobacco is paying for this activity. we are
getting their money's worth.

Btw, I am not an ACLU "insider," just a member, but I will ask about the
tobacco biz. However, for the rest, aim at your enemies--not your friends.

--jks