Carrol, the point I was trying to make (evidently not very
successfully) is that a depressing proportion of students are not
just looking for a "good job" but quite consciously seeking jobs
where they can expropriate surplus value -- they don't want just
good jobs, the want to be RICH and are quite willing to do it at the
expense of the workers.  The anti-union attitudes of many of them
is upsetting particularly when they get summer jobs in unionized
jobs and bitch like hell when they have pay union dues and can't
jump the seniority lists since they are obviously superior to their
undereducated social inferiors.  They are also uncompromisingly
right-wing.

I don't want to tar all students with the same brush  -- there are
many that retain a social conscience, etc.  It just seems
economics attract a disproportionate number of  the most greedy (if
I may use that term.)  The atmosphere in my classes during the
80s and 90s has been quite depressing compared with the vibrance
of classes in the 60s and even the 70s.  In fact, perhaps the cycle
is coming around again as I detect a gradual increase among my
students in social conscience.  Maybe Seattle is an omen.  I
expect, however, I will be long retired before we see anything again
like the student intellectual vitality of the 60s.

Paul

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba