At 08:42 AM 8/31/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Ben Wirtschafter, a Democratic candidate for the state Assembly who is
>Jewish, says he has been dismissed out of hand by some voters simply
>because of his faith, including just a few weeks earlier, at a local fair.
>"I was handing out literature. They wanted to know whether I believed in
>Christ. When I indicated that I didn't, they returned the literature and
>said they weren't interested in me."

There was an interesting editorial a few weeks ago on US National Public
Radio, by Scott Simon, not only decrying such attitudes and cheering Al
Gore's willingness to choose a Jew for his running-mate, but also hoping
for the day when even agnostics and atheists would be able to open about
their views of religion.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine