>Former Fed Gov. Lawrence Lindsey, a fervent supply-sider, for arguing for an
>across-the-board 10% tax cut to "put $70 billion in the hands of
consumers," to spur
>them to keep buying more while saving less ( The Wall Street Journal,
December 9),
>notwithstanding consumer debt and defaults being at all time highs.  It
sounds like
>a typical Keynesian idea to me.
>Are we seeing dialectics at work?  Are these traditional labels
>inoperative in a new conceptual synthesis?  Is this postmodern
>Monetarism or deconstructed Keynesianism?

This is standard supply-side economics of the sort that Reagan pushed, with
a regressive tax cut being touted as somehow unleashing supply-side growth.
In practice, however, it would have a demand-side (Keynesian) effect, just
as Reagan's tax cut did in the 1980s. (The rising government deficit, along
with easing monetary policy promoted recovery from the 1982 recession.)
Also, the supply-siders claim that the 1964 tax cut was successful for
supply-side reasons. But the weakness of the Reagan-Laffer-Kemp supply-side
mechanism means that in practice, it's Keynesian economics, with a more
regressive tilt.

>There is a lot of rumbling in the globalized Street that the major
>reason the Asian, Russia, Brazilian crises did not caused a sustained
>panic in the stock market was that practically all government economists
>have turned Keynesian.  Is that an accurate assessment?

I don't know about the government economists, but the IMF sure isn't
Keynesian. I think that this refers to Alan Greenspan taking the lead in
pushing down interest rates, to be followed by W. Europe, along with
Japan's weak expansionary policies and the like. I guess Greenspan is a
Keynesian (broadly speaking), because he's a fine-tuner with faith in his
own power to steer the economy.

As usual, the answer depends on what you mean by "Keynesian."

>There was a c-span program on the 1968 election moderated by Kevin
Phillips on New
>Years eve, with Pat Buchanan, Nixon's press secretary in the campaign and
others.
>The consensus was the Nixon was a liberal, with Keynesian economics and
abandoning
>the gold standard, opening to China, Detent, arms control, free trade, etc.

Nixon was definitely more liberal than Clinton.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html