Ellen quotes:

Ellen writes:
>Over the last few days, I have been looking over data on wages, exports,
>bankruptcies, etc. in the former so-called emerging markets.  International
>capital, it seems, is really putting the screws to the laboring classes in
>Asia and South America.  Asian assets are on sale at rock-bottom prices;
>commodity prices are so low, they're practically giving them away.  Is this
>not the triumph of capitalism? Little wonder the Dow hit 9500.

IMHO, the strength of the US stock market first and foremost reflects the
strength of the US profit rate, with the speculative bubble being present
but secondary. Orthodox economists tend to conflate what's good for capital
(the profit rate, a high stock market) with what's good for the people (the
GDP and its distribution, with limited negative environmental impact, etc.,
etc.) So it's natural that they would make this mistake.

The question is whether the high US profit rate will persist given the mess
that the rest of the world is in, not to mention the dynamic problems the
result when an economy enjoys (and suffers from) a high and rising profit
rate. (See my 1994 RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY paper, on-line at:
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/subpages/depr/D0.html or /Depr.html)

Can the "triumph of capitalism" (or more accurately of some sectors of US
capitalism) persist? It didn't after 1929, the previous period of similar
capitalist triumphalism. So the question is: are we currently in the
historical analogy of 1929 or of 1927?

Ellen, it was good to see you at the convention!

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html