on pen-l's recommendation, I read the articles by Barry Bluestone and Alan
Blinder on the US government's budget surplus, from the NEW REPUBLIC at

http://www.thenewrepublic.com/magazines/tnr/archive/0899/080999/coverstory08
0999.html

here are some comments:

1. Bluestone's article [adapted from a book written with the late Bennett
Harrison] seems remarkably conservative (considering its source, but not
the magazine that published it), preventing what might be called an
early-Clintonian perspective: his basic idea is that the surplus should be
spent on "infrastruture, research and development, and human capital."
Though there is a lot of truth to this perspective, there are also major
limitations: mainly, it assumes that the benefits of the "government
investment" trickle down to everyone, rather than just the rich.

It is interesting that Bluestone accepts the validity of the "new
economy"/"new paradigm" fad (associated most strongly with BUSINESS WEEK
magazine), i.e., that informational technology has finally paid off by
encouraging more rapid productivity growth. (I'd be more hesitant, if I
were he: the evidence is hardly in yet.) His tilt is that the new economy
is the long-delayed pay-off of a long period of government investment in
infrastructure, etc., which has since been cut back. It should be restored
before "we" (the entire US public) suffer the long-term consequences of
recent cut-backs in government investment.

Bluestone assumes that the political balance of power is such that
government investment in infrastructure, etc. would be in fruitful projects
that would promote labor productivity growth rather than in pork-barrel
projects (a new canal, built by the Army Corps of Engineers) or efforts to
increase the Pentagon's military might. (He emphasizes the bright side of
the latter.) As noted, he seems to assume that the benefits of labor
productivity growth automatically trickle down to workers (an assumption
belied by the high profit rates seen in recent years). He ignores the class
dimension of investment in "human capital" (what's called "education" or
"training" by those not infected by the dominant world-view), i.e. the
critiques of Bowles and [an earlier incarnation of] Gintis, among others.

(The human capital perspective is reminiscent of H.C.'s vision in IT TAKES
A VILLAGE, in which children are seen as assets to be invested in. I guess
my portfolio is unbalanced: I should use my son as collateral for a loan
(of course without surrendering all of my equity), so I can invest the
borrowings in Amazon.com... Of course, Bluestone hardly approaches such
inanity.)

It is interesting that (as far as I can tell) Barry never brings up Max's
point, i.e., that the projected surplus is based on the assumption of real
cut-backs in the services provided by the Federal government. It fits with
his major themes.

2. Seemingly in line with the US Treasury's paper on fiscal policy (that
Max posted to pen-l), Blinder's orthodox approach argues for "paying down
the national [sic] debt." (The "national" debt (a.k.a. the "public debt")
should be called the "government's debt," since most of it is owed to
people in the US; it should be called part of the "people's assets." The
_true_ "national debt" is the US debt to the rest of the world.)

(a) His first point is that we count on future government surpluses (and
thus spend current surpluses either on outlay programs or tax cuts),
because we can't be sure they will actually be received. This is correct,
but Blinder reveals his own blinders: the current surplus is almost
entirely due to the surplus of the social security system; if we cut income
taxes now, we may be forced to raise payroll taxes in the future to pay for
the baby-boom generation (or more correctly, for the extended life-span,
and thus extended retirements, that most US citizens will be enjoying).

But why not use the surplus to cut payroll taxes now (especially since in
the overall scheme of things, the payroll tax is regressive)? Or why not
raise the relatively-progressive income tax in the future to help cover any
future deficits of the social security system? If the social security
surplus can pay for the rest of the government's deficit, why not
vice-versa? (Blinder ignores the fact that Doug dug up, i.e., that the
projected social-security deficits are based on extremely pessimistic
projections.) The fact that Blinder ignores these questions seems to be
based on his taking for granted of the current balance of political power
(the balance that Bluestone ignores).

(b) His second point is that if the Federal government either cuts taxes or
raises its spending (lowering the budget surplus, presumably as measured at
some benchmark rate of unemployment), it would stimulate the economy. Given
labor market tightness, this action would evoke an equal and opposite
reaction: the Fed would hike interest rates to prevent feared inflation.
Ignoring the possibility of recession, he argues that this combination
would (1) boost private consumption and (2) hurt private investment, which
he assumes would mean "slower growth" (of labor productivity) in the
future. He suggests that private consumers are "doing very well on their
own" and so don't need any tax cuts, ignoring the vast inequalities in
consumer experience (or else defining "doing well" in terms of spending
volume rather than actual financial situation, i.e., increasing debt).

This ignores (1) the unlikely possibility that tax cuts might stimulate
private investment, as GOPsters argue, and (2) the more realistic Bluestone
point, that spending on infrastructure, etc. promotes long-term growth of
labor productivity (a point that's currently been embodied in the way that
US National Income and Product Accounts are reported). It also ignores the
destructive nature of a lot of private (and government) investment, as with
the razing of old-growth forests.

Blinder's main explanation of "our economy's marvelous performance in the
'90s" (where "our" refers to the US, not to the world) by the combination
of smaller government deficits and easier monetary policy, which led to "a
truly remarkable surge of private investment" (a surge that Doug's article
in MONTHLY REVIEW argues has been mediocre and less important than the
consumption binge). He also sees only the interest-rate driven aspect of
the investment surge, ignoring the way in which high profitability also
encouraged it (and the rich folk's consumption splurge).

He admits that a lot of the US economy's "marvelous performance" has been
based on the current-account deficit, i.e., borrowing from the rest of the
world, and that the US is having to pay more and more interest to them.
Instead of relying on "foreign saving," he thus prefers using net domestic
saving. In doing this, he prefers (a) raising government saving (by using
the surplus to buy up government debt) to either (b) cutting private
consumer spending or (c) cutting private investment.

A key problem is that these three are not separate options but are
interconnected (as Keynes might point out). A rise in government saving,
all else equal, would mean a fall in aggregate demand, which would depress
private consumer spending. This is especially so if it pricks the
stock-market bubble (hurting rich folk's spending, the "wealth effect" in
reverse, as after 1929), if rising unemployment causes working people to
drastically drop credit-card-based spending, and if pessimistic
expectations are encouraged. Further, rising degrees of idle capacity, the
fall in corporations' net worth (due to the stock market's fall), and
pessimistic expectations would sink private investment. All of this can
snow-ball, in a self-feeding recession, especially if the banks rationally
start raising credit standards.

Blinder does make the point that we may have a recession in the future, so
that tax cuts or spending hikes may be appropriate then. In theory, it
might prevent or moderate a recession. But given the government's
obsessions with fiscal "prudence" and the general retreat from notions of
active fiscal policy, Blinder seems implicitly to be relying on faith in
Alan Greenspan at the Fed to save the US bacon. (There is only one god --
Capital! There is only one prophet -- Greenspan! There is only one faith --
TINA!) Given the way that the Fed's "success" has been despite itself (the
Fed tried to prevent the currently low unemployment rate from ever
happening and did not expect a profit-rate-led investment boom, a debt-led
consumption boom, or low inflation), this faith seems to have a very shaky
basis.

Further, can the Fed translate its success in an easy environment into
success in an extremely difficult situation? That is, can success at
allowing an economy that was likely going to expand anyway (due to rising
profit rates, a result of the Volcker-Reagan war against the working class
and shake-out of obsolete capital) to expand in the face of unexpected
anti-inflation shocks (due to increased globalization and low import costs
due to global stagnation and a relatively high dollar) be repeated in
fighting a debt-deflation and possible collapse of the banking system? That
is, can the Fed "push on a string," making banks that don't want to lend do
so anyway and people who don't want to borrow do so anyway? More
specifically, can it do so without resorting to Krugman-style active
encouragement of inflation, a policy now totally tabu among central
bankers? Binges are much easier to deal with than purges.

More crucially, note that Blinder ignores the impact of his policies on the
rest of the world. Raising US national saving (by raising government
saving) means a decrease in demand for the products of the rest of the
world (especially if private consumption and investment also fall), a place
that's already pretty depressed. And Blinder's desired lower interest rates
might encourage the dollar bubble to burst, causing the rapid collapse of
the dollar that Krugman writes about. (See
http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/dollar.html.) Such a fall in the dollar
would encourage a rise in inflation in the US (which might evoke knee-jerk
tightening by the Fed) and also deeper stagnation in the rest of the world.

(c) He ends with a grab-bag of reasonable points. He is concerned with the
regressive impact of proposed tax cuts (though he doesn't ponder the issue
of the possible regressive impact of "paying down the debt," something I'd
like to hear more about) and suggests that more progressive tax cuts are
possible (though not recommended, given his previous points).

It is good to see that he does not make a fetish of lowering the
government's debt. In fact, he seems to realize the way in which
projections of surpluses assume real cut-backs in government programs:
"spending above the [budget] caps is not only certain but also
appropriate," especially in "education and public infrastructure"
(Bluestone's point). But in the end he counsels caution, i.e., paying down
the debt.

Given the way the US government's debt is still below historical standards
(relative to GDP) and the recessionary impact of the fiscal policy he
recommends, I really don't understand Blinder's urge to purge.

BTW, it is interesting that the US Treasury article on the government debt
(that Max posted) starts its graph of the ratio of government debt to GDP
in 1970. This ignores the "golden age" of the 1950s and 1960s, when the
ratio of debt to GDP was quite high (starting over 100% in 1945).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html