Jim D: I've summarized my position in the post that you are responding to.
I don't have time to elaborate it. If you weant to go further, I'd ask you
to read my Brenner critique --and, by the way, re-read Brenner's three
articles, because he doesn't say what you say he says. About: landlords.
technloogical revolution. Non-asgricultural players in the transition.Etc.
Also you might re-read Dobb. He knew very well that the transition occurred
after the freeing of the serfs. In 1600 the nature of England as a society
was feudal. (Dobb's reponse, maybe the seocnd response, to Sweezy in the
Transition volklme.)

You'r perfectly free to be a "lumper" and deny that the Bourgeois
Revolutions were the basic turning point in the replacement of feeudal
society in NW Eureope by capitalist society. I don't agree. Karl didn't,
either.

Basic issues re Brenner. On rhe rise of capitalist agriculture in England,
he romanticizes the Yeoman tenant farmer, neglects landlords' improvements,
ignores handicrafts, some of the wool production, etc., and
virtually dismisses parallel Dutch and Flemish (in about 2 pages in The
Brenner Denbate; I think he calls Flanders "the exception that proves the
rule"). He virtually ignores southern Europe, where the same rural
processes were going on, probasbly a bit earlier. He  says NOTHING about
the rest of the world. He sees the rise of the yeoman tenant farmer as
inaugurating, quickly, a technological revolution which in fact did not
occur for another 300 years or so. He is a Malthusian. Much more but I
forget.

"I feel no obligation to go back and
re-read Brenner's articles in order to defend him. Nor am I interested
enough in reading criticisms of Brenner because that requires the diversion
lots of time from research, personal life, and/or sleep to deal with the
details of those criticisms. "

Suit yourself. But don't expect a scholarly exchange on Brenner.

"If I remember correctly, Brenner was talking about a generally
one-sided class struggle by the land-owners in alliance with their tenants
against the direct producers (who were not serfs)."

Sorry: you don't remember correctly. Landowners were not players in the
process for Brenner.

"BTW, I think that the issues of the pen-l debate do NOT concern the
"Bourgeois Revolution" (in England, the Civil War roughly 1640-1660, and
the "Glorious" Revolution, 1688). These had the effect (despite the heavy
religious content of these conflicts) of the _cementing_ of bourgeois
_political_ rule rather than changing the nature of _economic_ rule in the
countryside and later in the cities (some of which sprang up in the
countryside, where the guilds could be evaded)."

WOW!  economism!

"I NEVER denied that other areas of the world could have been
"developing," so that issue is irrelevant here." "Of course the issue is
what where they transitioning to? were they introducing proletarian
wage-labor on a large scale?"

The answer is yes until we get to the kicker, "large-scale". Brenner's
story doesn't tell us how small-sclale capitalist agriculture turned into a
large-scale, national-scale, capitalist economy -- and polity. Scale
outside of Europe is relative. Some fairly large regions of China, and
some city-states elsewhere, were introducung proletarian wage-labor and
class relations as early as England was. I'll give you references if you're
interested.

"I never denied the existence of "agricultural estates" in other places
besides England,... I don't know about the agricultural estates in Cyprus
and Malabar (or even Flanders), though. The word "estate" covers a
multitude of sins, including slave plantations and especially feudal
estates. What was the nature of these "estates"? What kind of social
relations of production prevailed? "

What I meant was that every phenomenon of sprouting capitalism that you
find in English agriculture you can also find in many other places.

"One of Brenner's points is that if the option of forcing labor to do the
work is an option, the "estate"-owners are much more likely to use that
force rather than to introduce new ways of plowing, etc."

Brenner is shown to be wrong in arguing that the feudal lords did no
improving. He makes that argument, along with the argument that later
landlords were not improving (only their larger tenants were)  , to set the
stage for his grand assertion: large tenant farmers became the first
capitalists and imediately instituted a technologivcal revolution in stark
contrast to the earlier as well as contemporasneous landlords (and to the
peasants of France-- here again he's wrong about technology).

"But you still have to face the issue (brought up many times on pen-l, by
several people) of why the benefits of colonialism to the colonizers helped
England become capitalist but not previous conquering powers like the
ancient Persian or Roman empires."

We are talking about societies already moving out of the tributary or
feudal system and towards -- something like -- capitalism, not ancient
Rome.

" Colonialism hardly seems sufficient to explaining the rise of capitalism
(unless you use some other definition of capitalism than I am using)."

I don't say it was.

"... colonialism (looting, land-grabbing, the subjugation of foreign
peoples, gold-grabbing, etc.) has been so common in
human history"

There's more to colonialism than this. Colonialism is mostly production,
much of it capitalist production.

Cheers

Jim B