Yoshie asked:

It doesn't seem to me to require a belief that statements (e.g. E=
MC2) are Platonic entities in order to believe that what some
statements refer to existed before the statements were made.  Am I
missing something?

* * *

No, you are right. But that is not what I said. What I think we want to say is not
just that the interconvertability of mass and energy obtained before there were minds,
but that the statement "e=mc2" was true back then. That might force us into a sort of
Platonism. Jerry Katz defends such a view. --jks