> > another NPR story remarked unlike the Ozzies and the Kiwis, the "Yanks"
> > don't really have a cute nickname for themselves. What should it be?
>
>I like Yanks because otherwise it would be hard to tell who won
>the war of the slavedrivers' insurrection.

I forget: who won? it seems like most of the leading politicians (Clinton,
Gore, Bush) these days are from the South.

I sort of like the Mexican word, gringos. It's better than the alternatives
"Norteamericanos" (which includes Canadians) and "Estadounidenses" (which
is unpronounceable).

Also on NPR last night, the newsreader mispronounced and stumbled upon the
name of Milosevic's electoral rival and ended up breaking out in laughter
during the next headline he read.

yo soy gringo

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine