>Mat wrote:
>>Klassic because, unlike most mainstreamers, he has read stuff
>>written more than
>>five years old, or because he overlooks Marx?  And shouldn't it be
>>"continuous"?
>
>Peter quotes Krugman:
>>"...the young Schumpeter, writing before World War I, was the first
>>major economist to recognize that continual technological change is part
>>of what capitalism is all about."
>
>Mat doesn't understand that for PK, "major" means "respectable,
>while attaining tenure at a Big Name school."

No. For Paul Krugman "major economist" means someone who built a
useful model--like Ricardo. Marx's attempts at economic model
building as we see it were not successful--hence Samuelson's judgment
of Marx as a minor post-Ricardian.

For Paul Krugman, Marx is a sociologist...

Brad DeLong
--
Professor J. Bradford DeLong
Department of Economics, #3880