>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/25/00 06:09PM >>>

I didn't say that capitalism didn't play a crucial role at the early
stages. It's unclear -- without a lot of counter-historical speculation --
whether or not slavery was "necessary."

((((((((((((

CB: The same is true of what happened in England. There would have to be a
counter-historical speculation that capitalism would not have happened if there had
not been the inclosures in England , etc., to show that it those were "necessary" to
capitalism.

 To make the statement that slavery
was necessary, you'd need a very clear theory of what capitalism is. Mere
historical reference won't do.

I don't discount enslaved labor, though I don't see why it needs to be
capitalized.