I has a run-in with the Kenyon polisci dept in what, 1993 or 94. I was
invited to speak at a conference they had there on Marxism. I was on a panel
with a very smary guy from the Dept, pretty young, very conservative, a
Straussian. thered were also some old Straussians who were attacking
democracy in the discussion. They were not so smart. They were old enough to
have been there when Watterson was there.

For them as don't know, Straussians are followers of the U of Chicago
political theorist Leo Strauss, who has a sort of cult about how to read
classical texts of political philosophy for hidden esoteric messages
advocating reactionary and aristocratic values. Straussian ideas were sort
of popularized, if that is not a contradiction in terms, in Allan Bloom'a
_Closing of the AMerican Mind_.

--jks